Monday 18 August 2014

Another Autumn Orbweaver... 

On August 16th, just a couple of days after posting It's Orbweaver Season Again, and again back at my favourite outdoor photo studio, Roaches Pond in Spryfield, I found another orbweaver web among the ferns. I located the refuge, opened it up and there was this lovely Shamrock Orbweaver, Araneus trifolium. So, once again, I coaxed it out of its refuge to have its portrait taken. Add this to the two previous species and I've found and photographed all three of the large Araneus spiders in the same week. Pretty cool, huh!

A bit further along the path I noticed another orbweaver web and when I opened the refuge I found another Shamrock orbweaver but this one was the white morph. Interestingly (I think) both the Shamrock Orbweaver and Marbled Orbweaver (Araneus marmoreus) come in multiple colour morphs from white through yellow to orange or red but the Cross Orbweaver (Araneus diadematus) shows none of this colour morphism.

No comments:

Post a Comment