Thursday 4 June 2015

A Couple of Uncommon Early Spring Wildflowers...

I've been trying to get good photos of the red (or purple, if you prefer) trilliums, Trillium erectum, here in Nova Scotia, looking to replace my old Ontario slide film photos with digital shots, for a few years now. But I was always too late and the flowers were in pretty bad shape, definitely not what could be called photogenic. But this year I caught them, in Elderkin Ravine in Kentville on May 19, 2015, at the height of bloom in about as perfect condition as possible.

This is another early spring bloomer that I've been trying to catch in flower. I've frequently seen them in fruit but this is the first time, also May 19, 2015 at Elderkin Ravine in Kentville, that I've found the flowers. Most commonly known as February Daphne (although that would be April/May here in Nova Scotia, which might explain why spurge laurel is its colloquial name here), Daphne mezereum, is a non-native shrub that is highly poisonous.

No comments:

Post a Comment